Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Barn (63/365)

Barn (63/365) by elawgrrl
Barn (63/365), a photo by elawgrrl on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
A presumed abandoned barn exudes pastoral calm.

TOM WAITS - "Don't Go Into That Barn"

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]

Black cellophane sky at midnite
Big blue moon with three gold rings
I called Champion to the window
And I pointed up above the trees
That's where I heard my name in a scream
Coming from the woods, out there
I let my dog run off the chain
I locked my door real good with a chair

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]

Everett Lee broke loose again
Its worse than the time before
Cause he's high on potato and tulip wine
Fermented in the muddy rain of course
A drunken wail a drunk train
Blew through the birdless trees
Oh, you're alone alright
Your alone alright
How did I know [2x]

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]

An old black tree
Scratching up the sky
With boney, claw like fingers
A rusty black rake
Digging up the turnips
Of a muddy cold grey day
Shiny tooth talons
Coiled for grabbing a stranger
Happening by
And the day when home early
And the sun sank down into
The much of a deep dead sky

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]

Bank since Saginaw Calinda was born
It's been cotton, soybeans, tobacco and corn
Behind the porticoed house of a
Long dead farm
They found the falling down timbers
Of a spooky old barn
Out there like a slave ship
Upside down
Wrecked beneath the waves of a rain
When the river is low
They find old bones and
When they plow they always
Dig up chains

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]

Did you bury your fire?
Yes sir
Did you cover your tracks?
Yes sir
Did you bring your knife?
Yes sir
Did they see your face?
No sir
Did the Mom see you?
No sir
DId you go cross the river?
Yes sir
Did you fix your rake?
Yes sir
Did you stay down wind?
Yes sir
Did you hide your gun?
Yes sir
Did you smuggle your rum?
Yes sir
How did I know [3x]

Don't go into that barn, yea [2x]
Don't forget that I warned you
Don't go into that barn, yea [3x]
No shirt no coat
Put me on a flat boat
Dover, down to Covington
Covington to Louisville
Louisville to Henderson
Henderson to Smithland
Smithland to Memphis
Down to Vicksburg to
Natchez put me on a
Flat boat Dover Dam
To Covington, Covington to
Louisville, Louisville to
Henderson...

No comments: