Thursday, July 18, 2013

Twilight (199/365)

Twilight (199/365) by elawgrrl
Twilight (199/365), a photo by elawgrrl on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
I love beach twilight on a stormy evening.

THE WEAKERTHANS - "Civil Twilight"

My Confusion Corner commuters are cursing the cold away
As December tries to dissemble the length of their working day
And they bite their mitts off to show me transfers, deposit change
and I can't stop finding your face in their faces, all rearranged
and angry like you never were;

And I ease us back into traffic
dusk comes on and I wonder why
I'm always remembering you
in civil twilight

For the most part, I think about golfing and constantly calculate
All the seconds left in the minutes, and so on, etcetera
Or recite the names of provinces and Hollywood actors;
Oh, Ontario! Oh, Jennifer Jason Leigh!
This part of the day bewilders me.

Streets slow down and ice over,
Dusk comes on and I struggle stop-to-stop
To stop thinking of you at civil twilight

Hey, every other hour I pass that house,
Where you told me that you had to go
I wonder if the landlord has fixed the crack,
That I stared at, instead of staring back at you.

My chance to say something seemed so brief, but it wasn't.
Now I know I had plenty of time
Between the sunset and certified darkness
Dusk comes on and I follow the exhaust
From memory out to the end of civil twilight

No comments: